Wednesday, March 4, 2009

focus, focus

I have never been very skilled at multi-tasking. It seems I can concentrate on only one thing at a time... in school, if I had two finals in one day, I was in a world of hurt because I couldn't devote all my free time beforehand to one or the other!

Usually, I choose to devote my concentration to that which is the most urgent... and all too often this is at the expense of what is important.

Right now I feel like surviving the jobs I have now, pursuing a nursing job, and trying to decide if I should move into a cheaper place, is consuming my limited concentrating abilities. And all of these things are valuable, I guess........

But what is most important? The apostle Paul gives me a good idea...

What am I doing to KNOW CHRIST? Hmmmm...

I also have a deep need for developing real community here. What am I doing to make that a priority?

The Christian radio station here has a program that I listen to sometimes called Intentional Living with Randy Carlson. Just the name itself is compelling to me, as I tend to float aimlessly sometimes. But this is their general message:
Is there something - ONE THING - you could do today that would please Christ and make a huge difference in your life? You can do it - and we're behind you all the way! Ephesians 5:10 says it this way, "Figure out what will please Christ, and then do it."
The message may sound cliche, but I am going to endeavor to adopt it in these two areas of life (knowing Christ and growing great friendships here) in addition to the others mentioned. Because when the "trials" of working retail/fast food overtime, being without a nursing job, and indecision about where to live are over, I want to have not neglected that which is most important! Phew.

No comments: