Saturday, July 4, 2009

awesomeness of late

Last Thursday, it was right between my birthday and my friend Bonnie's birthday. Bonnie, being her cool self, planned a girly road trip up to Sedona. Sedona is known for being cooler than Phoenix (and by that, I mean lower temperatures and a "hip," new-agey environment. It's kind of like Boulder to Denver.) It was gorgeous and refreshing. AND we went to Slide Rock, a State Park on the creek with a "slick natural water chute." We jumped in, waded, and went down the water slide several times. Plus we ate the carrot cake that I made and celebrated birthdays. This is Naomi, Jessica, and Bonnie at a "scenic overlook."

On Tuesday it was my birthday. It was a wonderful day! I so enjoyed the people I spent time with and doing new things with them. My day included: going to breakfast at Joe's Farm Grill with Ephrem, having Chic-fil-A with Amanda and Hannah, and then browsing Bookman's. (I had never been there before and was enthralled... plus I got a copy of The Brothers Karamazov from 1950 for free!) THEN Amanda and I browsed a wonderful new thrift store (and I found two good shirts for cheap, wonderful!) and also had the best Gelato ever (cantaloupe flavored... and it really is the best- and I've sampled at least 10 gelato shops in Italy). THEN we had the dinner I planned with everyone at Gilbert Pizza. It was a great turnout from church friends, a great opportunity for everyone to be together. Here's a picture of half of the table.

I didn't have plans for afterward, was thinking about going to a movie or something. I'm still not sure how it happened exactly, but it was arranged for everyone to go hang out at Jim's house afterward. And there was a wonderful cake compliments of Christian, and wine with some berries compliments of Jim.

I was so surprised and felt so special that they had gone to the trouble. Then we all sat in the living room and several people shared "Evidences of Grace" in my life, and experience which was rather awkward and uncomfortable for me, but very encouraging. And then a few people prayed for me, which was of course a huge blessing to me. On the whole, the day was a joy.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I love bookman's! I went there with Theo! I love you! I am sending you a present!! (Sorry it's so late!!)