Sunday, September 13, 2009

feeling accomplished

I ran one mile today. It's the third time I've ever run a mile. It's the first time I've ever done it by myself.

One time, my first year on the high school swim team, the pool heater was broken so we were doing exercises on the deck and had to run a mile in laps around the pool. I thought I was going to die, even though I was relatively in shape then.

Last summer, my dear friend Christy and I decided we were going to run. (We also tried this freshmen year of college, but it didn't turn out as well.) I was staying with her during summer school and we went to the gym often. After consistent time on the treadmill, I worked my way up to running one mile with her right alongside me doing the same. Right after that, my thyroid decided to wreck my summer plans, so I never made it further.

But today... alas, today... I went to the gym and ran a mile on the treadmill. Because I really really wanted to, and am full of determination and perhaps desperation. And now I feel accomplished but still eager for more. You see, running is something I've wanted to do a long time. But through schedules, whacky metabolism leading to passing out, or just my own lack of discipline, it has never become something consistent in my life and has never moved past something full of cramps and soreness into something near enjoyable. Well, this is the time when that changes.

My thyroid is now controlled. My job and activity level allows for time and energy that need to be devoted to this. I really want it. Plus, I have a great goal in mind: the 5K Crisis Pregnancy Center Walk for Life on October 24. So hopefully, I'll be able to run (and through that, achieve a goal, grow in discipline, and maybe get more healthy) and also raise money for a great organization! That is da plan.

No comments: