Thursday, December 25, 2008

Peace yos

It seems everyone is throwing around words like joy, hope, and peace this season. I'm wearing a shirt that reads, "Peace on Earth" on it and sent Christmas cards that proudly proclaim, "Joy & Peace." Isn't it great that we can proclaim words like this? I wouldn't even be able to have any idea what true peace is but for God's grace shown to me, but for His righteousness that he has shown to me. So, truly, it is a wonderful thing that we can celebrate this season, with the knowledge that God makes a way for us to know true peace and joy and hope.

But can we fully experience it as things are now? My favorite album of the season is Casting Crowns' Peace on Earth! And I really enjoy the version of the #1 track on that album, "I Hear the Bells on Christmas Day." Alli Rogers sings a great version of that one too! That song starts to grapple with some of my issues with everyone spouting words like comfort & joy this season... the lyrics are actually written by Longfellow, so it shouldn't be surprising how simple and beautiful they are. He describes how the Christmas bells announce peace on earth, but he looks around and sees none. Instead, it seems the world is ruled by hate; it seems the actual state of things mocks the very idea of true peace. And surely we must see that this is true... though Jesus has redeemed me, and is at work in our world, the "prince of the air" is still a powerful force here, and greed, lies, and desperation are rampant. My own heart is often broken and my own soul so full of darkness.

Just as thankful that Jesus came to live as a man two thousand years ago, I am forever grateful that he is coming again! This is a sobering and fearful truth for those that have not been already changed by his grace. But it will be a wonderful day when even more prophecies about him are fulfilled... and peace is the rule, not the exception.

My favorite carol this year is "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear." I just this year read the words to the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th verses.

It came upon the midnight clear,
That glorious song of old,
From angels bending near the earth,
To touch their harps of gold:
"Peace on the earth! Goodwill to men
From heaven's all-gracious King!"
The world in solemn stillness lay
To hear the angels sing

Still through the cloven skies they come,
With peaceful wings unfurled;
And still their heavenly music floats
Over all the weary world.
Above its sad and lowly plains
They bend on hovering wing,
And ever over its Babel sounds
The blessed angels sing.

For lo, the days are hastening on
By prophecy of old,
When with the ever-circling years
Shall come the time foretold:
When the new heaven and earth shall own
The Prince of Peace, their King,
And the whole world
Take back the song
Which now the angels sing.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Amen. Those songs have a powerful message.

Sarah said...

oh my dear Bethany, look at all your comments! aw shucks